"Bloody noses made them friends, But the giving sound to the bruised places in their hearts made them brothers."
-- Gloria Naylor

11 July, 2011

Doctor Fish (Old Post RECOVERED!! from June 13, 2011)

Yesterday we went to American Village. It's the place where Okinwans can experience American “culture”. There is a bunch of American stuff there like movies (eiga pronounced e-gah), bowling alley, SEGA, beach, a mall, restaurants. They also have a huge Ferris wheel, that I’m not going on. Do you know China Town?  Well, they also have an Indian version called Bollywood. Which is crazy a considering India is right next-door. I think I actually might check that out………………mmm……………….Yeah I’m going to check that out.


But any way getting to the reason I started this entry. We went inside one of the depots and walked around. All I knew was my dad was taking us somewhere and I was glad it was not the Ferris wheel. We walked around some little nick-knack stores with cool over-priced stuff. I thought, this couldn’t possibly be the surprise. And it wasn’t in fact we walked around a little more and BOOM we arrived at Doctor Fish. Now I still had no idea what to expect. So when my dad said okay we’re each going to get 5 minutes. I was blown away. A little cynical but I was excited. Then he said “Kemet you get 15 minutes”. Kemet started freaking out he didn’t want to do it at all. He was whining, “Can I have another treat?” But eventually he got in with us.

Pause. It just occurred to me you don’t know what Doctor Fish is. You see, they are these little fish that nibble at your dead skin cells quote: leaving your skin beautiful. It doesn’t hurt at all. In fact, it tickles. They are not really called doctor fish.

Play. “All right La-La you go first.” “What! No, you go.” So my dad went first. He put his feet over the tub/tank thingy and they started smarming. Jumping up at his feet lingering an inch over the water. When he put his feet in all the fish started nibbling. “Woo. It feels weird.” Just when I was about to say get a refund for me I put my feet in. That’s my method for when I’m scared. To tell you the truth it’s not something I would recommend for tender feet or something I like to feel all the live long day. It tickles but not only that its feels weird. If you focus on one spot and one fish you can feel it nibbling. But we had a great time and before you know it the 5 minutes were up. I think when I go back I’ll do 15 min and work my way up.

No comments: